Winter tyres vs 4×4 – snow tyre test – autocar.co.uk

Winter tyres vs 4×4 – snow tyre test – autocar.co.uk

• danebrewer10 Reply

Well that was a foregone conclusion….

April 17, 2018 at 7:35 pm
  • Hungry Boy Reply

What happens if you use winter tyres all year round?

April 17, 2018 at 7:45 pm
  • Nick Davanzo Reply

Bought a 2018 FWD Chevy traverse spent $700 on snow tires 14 inches snow made it home no problems. 4 wheel drive on that truck was extra$2800 not worth it to me.

April 17, 2018 at 8:36 pm
  • Ben Crosbie Reply

nice. if you have both then your laughing

April 17, 2018 at 8:52 pm
  • Golo1949 Reply

I have had both 4×4 and winter tyres on FWD car, winter tyres out perform every time.

April 17, 2018 at 9:41 pm
  • Prophetli Reply

The question itself seems very strange to me (a Swiss). When winter Comes and the temeratures go low, why wouldn't you have winter tyres anyways? Only this winter, I've had to help 1 german, 1 korean and a whole Family of italians out of the snow because they've got stuck on their summer tyres. I myself am driving an Octavia 4×4 with winter tyres and I've yet to get stuck or have Problems.

April 17, 2018 at 9:49 pm
  • benjamin meza Reply

You should redo the test and put winter tires on the 4×4.

April 17, 2018 at 10:17 pm
  • Davor Turkalj Reply

Anyone who thinks that 4×4 is replacement for winter tires, is an idiot!

April 17, 2018 at 10:43 pm
  • Simon Zhao Reply

Winter tires have more grip, you can brake harder, go on a steeper slope, corner faster, recover from a skid faster than all seasons. AWD doesn't help you when you don't have grip. AWD + winter = unstopable, but just for commuting, winter tires on your exisiting car is better than all seasons.

April 17, 2018 at 11:22 pm
  • Daniyar Suleimenov Reply

one benefit you get with 4×4 is that if you loose grip under hard acceleration the car remains controllable i.e. you can control it with both steering and throttle. One your FWD loses traction you will understeer. In winter times there is nothing better than AWD (preferably symmetrical)

April 18, 2018 at 12:21 am
  • jon modesto Reply

this is a good review for new car buyers. Instead of me, buying an AWD car, I can go with a FWD and get a good set of winter tires. This saves alot of money.

April 18, 2018 at 12:25 am
  • youtert Reply

2:46 did they run over the cameraman?

April 18, 2018 at 12:48 am
  • Quentin 33 Reply

If you are concerned about safety you should have your full HEADLIGHT SYSTEM ON …. You become way more visible. I've plowed and salted for many years….nothing worse than a car with no lights on.

April 18, 2018 at 1:45 am
  • mmmakeee Reply

There are proper winter tires and then there are those, with which it takes 15 seconds to accelerate from 0-30 mph.

April 18, 2018 at 1:55 am
  • P W P Reply

Are people like Janne really so dumb that they honestly need someone else to tell them the obvious? road tyres on snow don't grip? Hmmm.

April 18, 2018 at 2:34 am
  • VansMudder Reply

Now add winter tires on the 4×4 and it will out perform the front wheel drive on winter tires in every way except stopping should be about the same.

April 18, 2018 at 3:15 am
  • olly price Reply

Where are you supposed to be looking?!

April 18, 2018 at 3:20 am
  • xXBurntBaconXx Reply

When he says standard tires, does he mean all seasons? Or Just summer tires? The last video I watched by Auto Express specifically said summer tires.

April 18, 2018 at 4:20 am
  • P W P Reply

What a silly comparison, 4×4 with winter tyres would be the best option by far, why not compare 4×4 with 2WD under identical conditions? This certainly was not a fair test. They should have compared both cars with both types of tyre then arrived at a conclusion, if you want to be safe (you only have one life) then the safest option is a 4×4 with winter tyres.

April 18, 2018 at 4:21 am
  • Stratos My Reply

Since I already own the 4×4 blue Yeti, and snow is not very frequent in Greece, the option for me is an all season tire (Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons) or the new Michelin Cross-Climate which is advertised as summer tire with snow capability!!!

April 18, 2018 at 4:30 am