Winter tires: Stud or not to stud a winter tire?

Winter tires: Stud or not to stud a winter tire?

• baboonbuttz Reply

i haven't tried nokian tires yetfor vehicles but next sets will be. used them on my mtnbikes fantastic worth the $. studded is the way to go if legal. if where you live travel is prone to white/black ice or humid an freezing there is no other choice. winter specific tires w/studs. but doesn't doesn't replace driving with care an good judgment a mistake alot of people make when they get good winter studded tires.

April 2, 2018 at 4:39 pm
  • Thomas Wieser Reply

In Colorado, studded tires are permitted on highways year-round but discouraged due to accelerated road wear.

April 2, 2018 at 4:54 pm
  • Dow Buzzell Reply

Are these year round studs?

April 2, 2018 at 5:53 pm
  • yerowww666 Reply

its illegal to drive on public roads with studded tires here. its quite a reasonable restriction since we don't get more than 5 days of about 12h snowfall a winter. so unless someone is willing to change their tire in the morning and change them again after lunch, they would be driving around on clear tarmac most of the time. however, on the few days with snow i do wish i could try them out.

April 2, 2018 at 6:26 pm
  • Scott Schoemann Reply

There is a substantial difference between a snow tire and a winter tire. Yes stud a snow, NO do not stud a winter tire. The biggest difference is in the fact that a winter tire is designed for the wet roads of spring as well as urban snow covered roads. A true snow tire is meant for heavier snow ccovered country and suburban roads that do not get cleared as fastt and have treads closer to those of the more aggressive tires used on offroading 4 bys. These are the tires you stud. the "winter tires with the anti hydroplaning treads will be compromised on wet roads with steel studs when braking, Ive seen it happen multiple times and is why many mfgs simply stopped making the tires able to accept studs

April 2, 2018 at 7:13 pm
  • Island Aerial Reply

I know studded tires are great for winter driving HOWEVER, studded tires are NOT discussed in Canada.

April 2, 2018 at 8:13 pm
  • deepsudeep Reply

snow tires or studded tires?

April 2, 2018 at 8:17 pm
  • Stephen Bradley Reply

400 -700 klm (Break-in) period.

April 2, 2018 at 8:33 pm
  • RawLu Reply

All-Weather tiers on an all-wheel-drive/4X4 & your set for life IMO 😉

April 2, 2018 at 9:24 pm
  • Conspirazy Reply

I have Vredestein Quatrac 5 similar to Nokian Weatherproof/WRGD3 or Michelin CrossClimate. All weather with severe weather 3pmsf logo. I live in Vermont and drive for uber. I'm not going to sacrifice dry or wet or slush traction by getting studded winter tires. I need to be able to avoid an accident in all conditions. Especially dry and slushy, which happen most often on plowed and salted roads. Packed snow is not a problem. Great thing about ice is you can choose not to drive on it. Patches of ice are fine if your tire can recover well on the other side of the patch.

April 2, 2018 at 9:50 pm
  • Blackhawk 247 Reply

Great tutorial… Are all 4 tires studded or just the powered wheels (front wheel drive or rear wheel drive)?

April 2, 2018 at 9:50 pm
  • Sidney Reply

I always found good quality snow tires to be good enough without added expense or trouble of studs.

April 2, 2018 at 10:17 pm
  • babz T Reply

I have an SUV..and I own studded tires and I won't go back.

April 2, 2018 at 10:43 pm
  • Caassiopeia Reply

I remember getting a lot of hesitation when I asked for studded tires in my area. Not sure why, my studded tires work wonders. It's just not very popular where I live, which is weird, because I live in the northern US.

April 2, 2018 at 11:01 pm
  • Simoncelli 58 Reply

Simple answer, in the UK studs are illegal.

April 2, 2018 at 11:56 pm
  • SirWilliamSquireVonDutchMire Reply

In Utah you can use studs but you have to have them off by May

April 3, 2018 at 12:25 am
  • pinoyeh Reply

They sounded like French Canadian….

April 3, 2018 at 1:21 am
  • MARZIL's GARAGE Reply

Nice video! Watch this https://youtu.be/ROD3Q_TQ_0E

April 3, 2018 at 2:02 am
  • John Gaudet Reply

If you drive a heavy suv or pickup its more important to get winter tires because they don't turn or stop as easy as a light weight average car.

April 3, 2018 at 2:14 am
  • John Gaudet Reply

I put 4 studded winter tires on my front wheel drive car and its amazing cornering, stopping. I can even go up a good size hill in snow like awd car sometimes.

April 3, 2018 at 2:38 am