Tested: How Much Tread Depth Do You Need? I Tire Rack

Tested: How Much Tread Depth Do You Need? I Tire Rack

• Aaron ___ Reply

dang, trucks have terrible braking performance!

April 1, 2018 at 7:43 am
  • Ron Peterson Reply

It looks like we need to see tests of 6/32" and 8/32" tread.

April 1, 2018 at 8:06 am
  • StrangerDangerEDM Reply

Another thing to consider by the time you get down to 4/32 the rubber probably has hardened over time so performamce with be even worse.

April 1, 2018 at 8:58 am
  • earthsteward9 Reply

Did the drivers in the test know which tires they were using?

April 1, 2018 at 9:44 am
  • earthsteward9 Reply

By the way in Ontario, Canada they changed the regulations so that tires need 2mm of tread to pass a safety test which is about 2.5/32

April 1, 2018 at 10:35 am
  • Collin Bru Reply

Thats a big difference

April 1, 2018 at 11:06 am
  • Doug Wang Reply

In southern California or wherever the road is dry all the time, bald tire actually performs better!  It got more surface area.  Don't waste your money!

April 1, 2018 at 11:48 am
  • giggi4455 Reply

No. It's not a good video. It's actually very misleading. Stopping distance on the 10/32" = 195.2ft, stopping distance on the 2/32" = 378.8ft. 378.8/195.2 = 1.94. That means stopping distance is increased by 94%, or almost doubles with the 2/32" thread. Bad? Yes. But, the video is NOT to scale. The car in the 2/32" scenario should have not left the screen. The author is trying to make us panic. 94% extra means the car should stop just short of the half way mark on the screen.

April 1, 2018 at 11:51 am
  • gaijinblow Reply

Speaking from real world experience, I got a feeling that my tires would not hold on to the road well when it rained heavily, I had around 4/32" left. My tires felt like they weren't gripping the road so I was going at 65mph. But it wasn't until when I tried braking during downhill when I realized I needed new tires. Tapping on my breaks lightly the car would just go down. I slammed on the brakes and my ABS came on like crazy. I think 4/32" is a good time to change your tire…

April 1, 2018 at 12:20 pm
  • Tire Rack Reply

Yes, the stopping distance is effectively doubled when the tire is worn down to 2/32” remaining depth. But our testing revealed the impact of shallower tread is non-linear. Wet stopping distance gets longer as the tire wears, but as the tire wears below 4/32” remaining the wet performance really begins to fall off much more rapidly. That’s why we recommend replacing tires at 4/32” if you have to drive in wet conditions.

April 1, 2018 at 1:11 pm
  • SlowDave1 Reply

Would be great to see this with new/worn on front/rear to quantify that effect as well.

April 1, 2018 at 1:24 pm
  • NIGHTMAREuki Reply

@trick9935 what are you talking about?

April 1, 2018 at 2:12 pm
  • trick9935 Reply

Once again, no science here. WHAT ABOUT BRAKE PRESSURE? STOP LYING TO CONSUMERS.

April 1, 2018 at 2:58 pm
  • DC08SI Reply

@LtBullitt351 LOL! This coming from the guy that said "I'm a danger to society."

April 1, 2018 at 3:34 pm
  • DC08SI Reply

@LtBullitt351 Then you can't afford to safely drive. Why risk your life and others?

April 1, 2018 at 4:30 pm
  • patrick A Reply

Great video… Gives good side by side comparison and also shows how to read the tire depth guage which I could not find in other videos.

April 1, 2018 at 5:13 pm
  • Seth Whitemourn Reply

Incredible! I have been agonizing over replacing the 4/32 pair of rear tires on my truck for weeks now, but been trying to find out if I really NEEDED to, before dropping $260.00 for a pair of new ones! This answered my question perfectly! I know now it will be perfectly safe to wait a few more weeks till I get income tax money, rather than break the bank now!

April 1, 2018 at 5:47 pm
  • Harvey McFadden Reply

There is a mathematical formula that determines how much breaking force can that can be applied to a particular vehicle. For some front wheel drive vehicles with almost twice as much weight on the front than the rear ,newer tires on the rear will decreases stopping distance by 25 percent..

April 1, 2018 at 6:45 pm
  • JackMacyntire Reply

Great video, excellent.

April 1, 2018 at 7:24 pm
  • Gilles Paquette Reply

This video is fantastic! Great visual measurements for the consumer to make a informed decision on when to change their tires.

April 1, 2018 at 7:45 pm