Cheap tyres versus expensive tyres – What Car?

Cheap tyres versus expensive tyres – What Car?

• endrizo Reply

Never save money on tires…your family safety depends on your tires…more than abs or seatbelts

March 29, 2018 at 1:13 pm
  • endrizo Reply

There is a very happy medium in really decent Korean hankook and kumho tires

March 29, 2018 at 1:59 pm
  • Malith Perera Reply

The funny part is a tire brand like Uniroyal is considered a budget/cheap tire. But the company is owned by the Michelin.

March 29, 2018 at 2:17 pm
  • Steven Foley Reply

This test is flawed because they didn’t mention tyre ratings A-B or C look at the tyre Rating first then price nothing to do with brands

March 29, 2018 at 3:06 pm
  • berto braga Reply

B

March 29, 2018 at 3:27 pm
  • retepyam5858 Reply

I had brand new Continental Eco Contact Tyres on my last car, worst tyres ever used practically zero grip if a slightest hint of frost.

March 29, 2018 at 3:44 pm
  • Uday Sail Reply

Force 1

March 29, 2018 at 4:12 pm
  • Jack Black Reply

Here in the Japan Alps, I'm on snow tyres year round. Buy your winter tyres in summer. Obvious when you think about it, and I'm off road a lot of the time, sometimes intentionally. So no point in balancing.
    Buying the best tyres you can makes a lot of sense. Even when you fit yourself (which I do), there's the same amount of effort. Recycle tyres are dirt cheap here in Japan. Bottom line, everything second hand is better in Japan than UK. A set of four 16-inch almost new, never punctured will set you back between Stg.50-100, equivalent. The dealers make their profit on fitting, balancing, fitting new valves and disposing of the old tyres.
    Disposal can be an issue, but don't be tempted to dump in the corner of the supermarket carpark, or even the auction car park.
    Jack, the Japan Alps Brit

March 29, 2018 at 4:37 pm
  • Jack Black Reply

Tyres are such a rip-off. You scrap at least 95%. What other product can you say that about?

March 29, 2018 at 5:08 pm
  • Megadriver Reply

I have Pirelli P7 Cinturatos on my Mercedes and they are great. Had the old P7s before, but the Cinturatos are better. Lots of grip, low noise and predictable handling. I would definitely buy Pirelli again, they are worth every penny. I never cheap out on car parts and car maintenance.

March 29, 2018 at 5:57 pm
  • Ian Purcell Reply

If I can't afford to put branded tires on my car then I can't afford my car.

March 29, 2018 at 6:12 pm
  • Dave Jenkins Reply

I go to the scrapyard, £12 each and when I take wheel off the scraped car, if the brake pads are good they come with me, shop smart people

March 29, 2018 at 6:54 pm
  • Fast4SloW 717 Reply

I'm on my third set of nexen nferas and I love them, I get about 15 k . That's responsibly hard street driving, no issues whatsoever.

March 29, 2018 at 7:36 pm
  • Nostalgia Gaming Reply

I highly recommend Uniroyal Rainsport 3. Had them on 3 cars so far, wouldn't trade up for anything else. Ideal price/performance ratio.

March 29, 2018 at 7:43 pm
  • Mavusi Kenpachi Reply

Tell you what, while there is a huge difference between a set of really cheap off-brand chinese tyres and premium brand name tyres from Japan and Europe, there is only a marginal difference in the middle of the segment. For instance, I have a set of Falken highway terrain tyres on my Subaru Forester XT and they have been outperforming the OEM Yokohama Geolanders that was on it. And the yokohama's were twice the price to replace.

March 29, 2018 at 7:46 pm
  • Maddog8148 Reply

What is your take of milestar tires?

March 29, 2018 at 8:45 pm
  • cooldbz12 Reply

When i bought my mustang in 2005 i bought cheap tires ( at the time ) for the front. I would constantly take it over 140mph and do alot of breaking. Best tires ever. I still buy them but the price has gone up on the exact tires due to popularity goin up with them. All you got to do is inspect the tires before you drive especially long distances . Keep them at the proper inflation. And dont hit any curbs and you will be fine with the cheap ones.

March 29, 2018 at 9:25 pm